Saturday 17 August 2013

M A T I S S E T E X T I L E S








I am thrilled to have finally got my hands on my own copy of Matisse, His Art and His Textiles; the exhibition catalogue from his 2004 Royal Academy exhibition. The books features swatches from Matisse's library of textiles as well as paintings in which they are featured. Matisse was an avid collector of textiles and they feature heavily in his paintings, models sit swathed in beautiful fabrics whilst in other images large decorative wallhangings can be seen displayed behind the artist himself. Persian carpets were housed alongside Arab embroideries and African wall pieces, creating what must have been an amazing display. Matisse kept swatches of textiles documented in huge books which he would often reference when working. Looking through images of his personal archives makes me want to not only continue designing my own textiles but to create a collection of found swatches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment