Monday 11 April 2011

M A R I M E K K O


Yesterday I discovered a beautiful book, 'Marimekko: Fabrics, Fashion, Architecture'. I often find specific textile design books dull and uninspiring so it's really interesting to see the creative journey of a company who have experimented with so many disciplines. Their designs are so timeless and 60 years later still seem so innovative as they experiment with unusual placement, scale and colour. I'm always being asked whether my work is aimed at the body or space and Marimekko perfectly illustrate what can be achieved if you never choose one over the other but instead have fun designing for anything and everything. It's interesting to see how one design can be applied to various outcomes, I love the idea of my dress matching my walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment